My photo
Welcome to our family blog, we are Roxanne, Jesse, Ashton, Jackson, and Thomas-Jensen. Jesse and I have been happily married since 2001, we live in Appleton, Wisconsin. We have been blessed with three beautiful boys; Ashton, Jackson, and TJ. Thanks for looking in on us from time to time.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Surgery Went Well

The surgery itself only took an hour. He had his tonsils and adenoids out. The surgery went fine. TJ did experience a bronchial spasm, but they were able to get it under control. He did have a croupy cough post surgical and needed albuterol every 6 hours. He was in a lot of pain, which made him cry, which made him cough, which made him cry even harder. He kept gaging, coughing, and then would dry heave. The OR nurses said it was gas, the room nurse thought he was nauseous. She wanted him to have anti-nausea medicine, but then forgot to give it to him. When he would heave he held the little pink cup to his mouth and just cried into it. His mouth hurt, so he didn't want to swallow, so he held a wash cloth to his mouth to absorb the drool. Poor baby.

We were in the St Mary's PICU, it was pretty full, but thankfully we didn't have to share our already tiny room.
Our experience with ST Mary's PICU wasn't all that great. For some reason they didn't give TJ his pain medicine intravenously, they choose to give them orally. Since that was the route the nurses chose TJ didn't receive his pain medicine on time. Instead I had to call the nurses desk and practically beg for someone to bring in his meds. They would finally come in with a Tylenol with codeine and I would attempt to give it to him. Most went in, some went all over. Remember, his throat hurts, so he doesn't want to swallow.
Finally asleep.

Playing with his cars.
He ate 4 or 5 popsicles the first day. He refused to go potty in his diaper, so when he had to go it was in the bathroom. He only had to go potty twice, so that wasn't too bad.

Around 7pm, he pain was under control and he wanted out, so we went for a little walk down the hallway and he played in the PICU children's playroom. It was fun. After 30 minutes he was done and wanted to back into his room and relax.

By 9pm he was out. He had a very rough night, lots of pain, drool, and coughing. He ended up needing albuterol at about 1:30 am.

The ENT came in very early the following morning and gave us the go ahead. So we were able to leave by 10 am Tuesday. I was so glad to be heading home!!!


msmichelel said...

I'm glad for you and TJ that it is over now. Trevor had an endoscopy back in Feb and it was nothing compared to what your little guy had, but it still scared me to death, and it was pretty hard on Trevor!

Eudea-Mamia said...

Oh, poor angel - and poor mama!!

So glad yours is done. Cross your fingers for us on December 19 - NOT looking forward to it.

So sweet with his cars. They always seem to make everything OK.